If you are command line type of person, you might need a multi-window terminal/console when working under command line mode.In this blog, we are going to Split Terminal in Ubuntu. The idea is to have multiple window console inside one terminal, like this:
Also Read: How to Change Application Icon in Ubuntu
Two programs can do that, tmux and terminator, they basically can do the same thing, which is to make your console window split into several small screens, but they are work on a different level.
Tmux is a more advanced program. It offers more features but also harder to use. At the same time, the terminator has some limitations but easier to use. So for this tutorial, I’m just going to talk about terminator. Follow the steps to split your terminal in ubuntu.
For beginners, it is easier to use terminator than tmux, so for now, let’s use terminator, later we can learn about tmux.
Features of Terminator:
- Arrange terminals in a grid
- Drag and drop re-ordering of terminals
- Lots of keyboard shortcuts
- Save multiple layouts and profiles via GUI preferences editor
- Simultaneous typing to arbitrary groups of terminals
How to Split Terminal in Ubuntu:
(1) Open the Terminal and run this command:
sudo apt-get install terminator
(2) Once installed, you can run ‘terminator‘ by search on the ubuntu dash and then open the program, and it will show terminal/console window with red label on top.
(3) To split the console window, do right click using your mouse and then choose ‘split horizontally‘ or ‘split vertically.’ This is how you can split terminal in ubuntu. It will work in all versions of ubuntu.
Also Read: How to Use Linux Terminal as a Calculator
Multi Window Terminal Ubuntu:
(4) In case you don’t like it, you can uninstall terminator with this command:
sudo apt-get purge terminator
Follow us On Instagram: crazy.techgo