Now you can use the terminal as a calculator in ubuntu. You don’t need any calculator application to perform a quick calculation. Just use the terminal to perform any type of calculation. Only need to install a tool called “bc“. Where
bc stands for the basic calculator. Follow the steps to use the Linux terminal as a calculator.
Steps to Use Terminal as Calculator in Ubuntu:-
(1) Open Terminal and type the below command in terminal.
sudo apt-get install bc
Also Read: How to Split Terminal in Ubuntu 2020
(2) One’s package
bc is installed. simply type bc in the terminal and hit enter.
Also Read: Command Line Browser on Ubuntu
(3) Now you can start doing a calculation in the terminal. You can perform addition(+), subtraction(–), multiplication(*) and division(/) operations.
(4) Type “quit” to exit the tool when you are done. For more information visit the GNU bc manual.
Using calc tool:-
An alternative to bc is the calc tool used for calculation in the terminal. Using this tool you can do calculations like square root, log, exponent, etc.
(1) Open the terminal and type the below command.
(2) After the installation is complete, simply type
calc in the terminal and hit enter.
Also Read: How to show Hardware temperature on Ubuntu
(3) Now you can start using the calc tool. In this, you can do more operations than bc. You can perform square root(sqrt), logarithm(log), exponent(^) , addition(+), etc.
(4) Type “exit” and hit enter to exit the program.
More Tricks on Linux:-
- Change Application icon in Ubuntu
- Convert png to jpg using the command line
- Install sticky notes indicator in ubuntu